- Kaitlyn Plate
Now, points C, D, E, F, G, and H are now all 2.5 units from line AB. If we connected all of these points, what would it look like?
- Adjust the slider. Notice that C and D move toward or away from the line, depending on how you move the slider.
- Set your slider to 3 (or as close as you can get it). Now, points C and D are both 3 units from line AB.
- Move points C and D around the screen. Notice that the distance from each point to the line doesn't change, even when the points move.
Right click on points C and D and turn the "trace" on. Drag points C and D around the screen to show the locus of the points that are 3 units away from line AB. What does the locus look like?
How would the locus change if the slider was set to a different number?
- The slider determines the value of d. Adjust the slider to watch what happens to the locus.
- Set the slider to 3 (or as close as you can get it). Move point B around the screen to change line AB. Watch what happens to the locus when line AB moves.