CCGPS CA 1.3.1 Example 2
- Walch Education
A taxi company in Atlanta charges $2.50 per ride plus $2 for every mile driven. Write and graph the equation that models this scenario.
- Read the problem statement and then reread the problem, determining the known quantities.
- Identify the slope and the y-intercept.
- Substitute the slope and y-intercept into the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.
- Set up the coordinate plane.
- Graph the equation using the slope and y-intercept. Plot the y-intercept first.
- Graph the equation using the slope and y-intercept. Use the slope to find the second point.
- Connect the points and extend the line. Then, label your line. Draw a line through the two points and add an arrow to the right end of the line to show that the line of the equation continues infinitely in that direction. Label the line with the equation.