Slope Triangle Exploration
Description: The applet below is an exploration of slope in the function f(x) = mx + b. Experiment by changing the values of the different variables in the equation (m and b) and changing Triangle EDC (the length of the sides and the placement on the line). What You Can Change:
- The values for b (slider b)
- The values for m (slider m)
- The length of the side c of Triangle EDC (slider )
- The placement of Triangle EDC on the line
After experimenting, take some time to collect your thoughts about what you have seen by... Comparing the purple triangle () with Triangle EDC. Below are some guiding questions for comparison.
- When you change the b in your function f(x) = mx + b, what do you notice about the two triangles?
- When you change the m in your function f(x) = mx + b, what do you notice about the two triangles?
- What is different about the two triangles?
- What is the same about the two triangles?