UCSS Math I 4.1.3 Example 1
- Walch Education
Each student in Mr. Lamb’s class measured a pencil. The data set below shows the pencil lengths in centimeters (cm). What is the expected length of any given pencil? Describe the shape, center, and spread of the data.
- Order the data from least to greatest.
- Calculate the interquartile range (IQR).
- Multiply 1.5 times IQR.
- Determine if there are any outliers at the lower end of the data.
- Determine if there are any outliers at the upper end of the data.
- List all the outliers.
- Calculate a measure of center. This will give us an approximate expected length of any given pencil, based on Mr. Lamb’s data.
- Describe the shape, center, and spread in the context of the problem.