Mixture Problems A solution is a mixture of two or more substances. If someone were to say that they have a 25% iodine solution, that means that 25% of the solution is made up of iodine and the rest of the solution (75% of it) is made up of something else. The portion of the solution that is made of a certain substance is called its concentration. So, the concentration of the iodine in the solution is 25%. Volume is the measurement of how much of a substance/mixture there is. Use this understanding to address the following mixture problems on a separate piece of paper. 1) A chemist has two glass beakers. The 3.5 liter beaker is filled with 65% iodine solution. The 2 liter beaker is filled with a 20% iodine solution. a) How much iodine is in each solution? b) If the solutions were mixed together, how much iodine would there be in the mixture? c) What is the volume of the mixture? d) Write an equation using only the numbers given in the original problem that give the amount of iodine contained the mixture. It should include the math that you used in parts a and b. 2) Set up the problem above in Geogebratube. Verify that volume in beaker 1 plus the volume in beaker 2 add to the total volume of the mixture in beaker 3 (v1 + v2 = v3). This should be consistent with your answer to 1c. 3) Verify that the amount of iodine in each solution (a1, a2 and a3) matches your answers given in 1a and 1b and that a1 + a2 = a3. 4) The dark portion of each bar represents the iodine in the mixture. Notice that the total iodine from beaker 1 and beaker 2 looks to be about the same as the iodine in the mixture (beaker 3). 5) Equations that will be used to solve mixture problems make use of the fact that the amount of the substance in each solution must add up to the amount of the solution in the mixture. (a1 + a2 = a3) 6) Try solving the problems on the worksheet you were given by your instructor and use this page to verify your answer.