CCGPS AA 1.1.2 Example 2
- Walch Education
Two rival basketball teams each have ten players on a team. The total points scored by each player in the first five games of the season are shown below. Cougars: Knights: The coaches want to compare the points scored by a typical player on each team. What statistic should the coaches use? Compare those statistics. Then compare any other statistics that are appropriate so that center and spread are compared for both data sets. Identify any outliers and explain their effects.
- Find the five-number summary for each data set.
- Find the interquartile range for each data set and use it to identify any outliers.
- Determine which measure of center is more appropriate for comparing the data sets.
- Determine the corresponding appropriate measures of spread.
- Find the range and the interquartile range of each data set.
- Find the mean of each data set. There are 10 data values in each set.
- Organize your results in a table.
- Use the table to summarize your results.