Directional derivatives and Gradient
- Juan Carlos Ponce Campuzano
This simulation shows the geometric interpretation of the directional derivative of f in the direction of a unit vector u and the gradient vector of f(x,y) at the point P∈. Things to try:
- Change the function f(x,y).
- Drag the point P or type specific values on the boxes.
- Activate box Dir. derivative to show the directional derivative. Change the angle θ by dragging the slider or type an specific value on the box.
- Use right click and drag the mouse to rotate the 3D view or click on View button.