CCGPS CA 1.3.1 Example 1
A local convenience store owner spent $10 on pencils to resell at the store. What is the equation of the store’s revenue if each pencil sells for $0.50? Graph the equation.
- Read the problem and then reread the problem, determining the known quantities.
- Identify the slope and the y-intercept.
- Substitute the slope and y-intercept into the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.
- Change the slope into a fraction in preparation for graphing.
- Rewrite the equation using the fraction.
- Set up the coordinate plane and identify the independent and dependent variables.
- Plot points using a table of values.
- Connect the points with a line and add an arrow at the right end of the line to show that the line of the equation goes on infinitely in that direction. Be sure to write the equation of the line next to the line on the graph.