Proof Construction 3: Similar Triangles
- David Coley
- Similar Triangles, Triangles
- Construct the diagram as shown. When you drag the figure, the givens should remain true.
- Test whether the conclusion is true. Here, we are testing whether two triangles are similar. We know three similarity tests. Decide which one to use, and make the appropriate measurements.
- If the conclusion appears to be true, write a two-column proof on a separate sheet.
- If the conclusion is false, modify the problem slightly. (Recall the example on the handout.) Write a two-column proof of your modified statement.