CCGPS AA 6.8.2 Example 2
- Walch Education
There are 35,000 bats roosting in a pyramid-shaped vaulted cave ceiling that has a height of 30 meters and a rectangular floor that measures 75 by 100 meters. What is the average density of the bat population in the cave? Make sure that the density is a number that reflects the fact that the bat population is measured in counting numbers.
- Calculate the volume of the cave.
- Calculate the volume density of the bats in the cave.
- Determine the domain of the bat population.
- Suggest a different basic volume unit that will result in a bat density measured in positive integers.
- Use the response to step 4 to calculate a more realistic value for the bat density.
- Compare the number of bats predicted by the result of step 5 to the number of bats given in the problem.