UCSS Math II 3A.2.4 Example 3
- Walch Education
Factor , and then verify your results.
- Determine any common factors of the given trinomial, if common factors exist.
- Multiply , the coefficient of the second-degree term, by , the constant.
- List all of the possible factors for the product of and .
- Determine which set of factors has a sum that equals , the coefficient of the first-degree term.
- Rewrite , the first-degree term, as the sum of two terms.
- Group the terms of the new polynomial according to their common factors, if common factors exist.
- Factor out common factors from each set of grouped terms, and rewrite the expression from the previous step.
- Factor the expressions further to create matching binomial factors.
- Use the Distributive Property to rewrite the expression as two factors, and then write the result along with the GCF determined in step 1.
- Distribute the factors to verify that they result in the original trinomial.