- Walch Education
Each student in Mr. Lamb’s class measured the length of his or her pencil. The following data set shows the pencil lengths in centimeters (cm). What is the expected length of any given pencil? Describe the shape, center, and spread of the data.
- Order the data from least to greatest.
- Calculate the interquartile range (IQR).
- Multiply 1.5 times IQR.
- Determine if there are any outliers at the lower end of the data.
- Determine if there are any outliers at the upper end of the data.
- List all the outliers.
- Calculate a measure of center. This will give us an approximate expected length of any given pencil, based on Mr. Lamb’s data.
- Describe the shape, center, and spread in the context of the problem.