- Dr. Doug Davis, 3D
This applet shows a number line with two points on it. You can move the points anywhere on the line. Note when A is less than B or A is greater than B. The different rules for operating on both sides of an inequality are shown. By checking a box you can explore the results of
- add a value to both sides, c
- multiplying both sides by a positive number, pm
- multiplying both sides by a negative number, nm
- raise both sides to a positive exponent, pe
- raise both sides to a negative exponent, ne
Check the rules out one at a time. For each rule notice whether the modified points are in the same order or reversed order. Explain the rules for operating on both sides of an inequality.